Saturday, June 16, 2007

Hair Flare

What does hair mean to you? Why do such strong gender bias' dictate how we wear our hair? OR if we even have hair?!?!? Women, as a general rule and this is just my observation, don't love their own hair. It's not the right color. I wish it were straight. I wish it were curly. The length is all wrong. I hate this cut. My hairline is stupid- look my: huge forehead, widows peak (don't shave it girls!... very bad idea), I don't have enough forhead.... I don't know why we are so silly about something that is....
DEAD... it no longer lives! Why does it make or break our day?
I do this too. I wish mine had an ounce of curl to it so that it might not hang there like over cooked spaghetti. My hair is thick, but it isn't the "right" texture for me. I love and hate short hair, same with long. And i REALLY dislike the "inbetween" length- ladies, you know of what I speak. I would probably shave it all and go with the Mr. Clean approach- but that is not so much acceptible in our society... and even less acceptable in my marriage... and yes, his opinion matters to me.

So what do we do about it? Well, what have we tried so far? In our attempts to control the fur that afflicts us we have: tweezed, cut, waxed, permed (scary gamble), added pigment and stripped it. Many nights with poor sleep due to foreign roundish things tightly screwed into our hair so that in the morning we can be beautiful. Have you ever thought about it though? The only time we've done this is when we are children and someone does it to us... we do not grow into adults and carry on the practice. No, as adults we move onto things like: nair, bleach, fake little add-ins made of narly plastic hair- or a whole wig (I am not above this- and those of you who know me, know that!!!). Isn't it the cutest when we put toilet paper between hot rollers and our ears so they don't burn? but the burns with the barbaric curlers, straighteners, spiral thingys, and the unforgettable crimper- what a look- grrrr, sexy mama! Have you been the parent who says to their child, "No, no, don't touch- that's hot, owie, will burn you." But we keep touching it and burning our forehead, scalp, ear, neck (lovely when those look like love bites) burns hurt like a son of a gun!!! So, no, no, don't touch- that's hot, will burn you, and you've not outgrown the dreaded "owie" consequence any more than the child.

The chemicals..... oh the chemicals. We stand in stores fervently reading labels and looking like bafoons taking lids off to smell the shampoo, pomade, gel, etc., sometimes shooting it out at our nose and then looking around to see if anyone saw that. The advertising is so tricky- and we believe it, uh-huh, we do! No more frizz, put this in and hair goes straight for a date, or suddenly curly to meet Mr. Burly. One will inflate your hair like a balloon- watch out for sharp objects, another shines it all up so it appears you've been collecting
oil for days, and finally, you too can have hair just like a horses mane and tail. Now, there is a nice visual.
I don't know what the point of all this was- just random thoughts I guess. Probably started this morning when i pulled out my tweezers to get leg hairs... "owie." Have a blessed hair day my friends!!

No comments:

About Us

Tuvalu
Matthew and Patricia have been married 9 years in December 07'. We have 2 beautiful girls Jocilyn (6) and McKenna (4). Please enjoy our bloggity!