Okay, so I worked Labor day... people still need dialysis on 3 day weekends- it's kinda a bummer. But here's a funny little story...
Sunday we were driving to church and the girls brought up school, I said, "you don't have school tomorrow..." Jocilyn said, "oh, yeah! It's Labor Day!!!" So I asked them, "what does labor day mean?" Jocilyn stays in her current thought and says, "it means no school!" McKenna, however, says, "it means no more white shoes..."
I thought you'd get a kick out of that mom! It was funny when my in-laws lived with us, they would be helping dress the girls or something and when it came to shoes Jocilyn and Kenna would both say, "No white shoes after Labor day..." It took a while to convince Jocilyn that white tennis shoes were still okay... Finally my mother in-law asked one day, " When can you wear white shoes?" Nobody had ever mentioned the Easter part of "the rule" and so it was really ambiguous...
I know that people don't necessarily follow that rule anymore, and even the fashion magazines have said it's old school... But I'm thankful to my mom, and her mom, and her mother before her- for caring enough to pass on those little etiquette points that I still think are important... and kinda fun (and really funny when a 5 year old says it)!
Thanks mom... Happy Labor day- hope you all had a good one whether you worked it or not... and if your going to wear white shoes, I won't judge you- wear em' proud... just know that my kids might call you on it!
5 comments:
Hahahaha! I love it! I so do follow that rule to a good amount of the time. White is too sunny for cold days. I love a cream though or as they say "winter white". Our rule is your belt should match your shoes. For girls this gets very tricky with all the fun colors and bling.
It's hard to give up that rule...even if it doesn't "apply" anymore. I think that's a great response to the labor day question!
I laughed so hard. I can't get past it either, I still think after labor day white is to austere. Besides the new rule is the shoes should not be lighter than the bottom of your skirt. fyi
That was so funny! What bright girls you have Tricia!
P.S. We amended the rule for warm climates such as Las Vegas and Phoenix, so here it's no white shoes after Columbus Day.
I love that. Just today I was putting on white wedge shoes and the whole day i felt like I was breaking the rules. It's funny how little things stay with us. Grandma would be so proud.
Post a Comment